Future remains uncertain for site of historic Te Kiteroa property destroyed by fire
The historic Te Kiteroa farm in Waimate which was ravaged by fire a year ago has been demolished, but plans for the future of the site are underway.
The demolition of a 108-year-old farmhouse, owned by the Dennison family and confirmed in a social media post written by Rose Dennison in February, said that although they do not yet have confirmation as to the future of the site, they could update that the demolition was complete.
The Dennisons, when approached for comment on Wednesday, said they would release a statement in June.
Rose Dennison’s post said that “a lot happened ‘behind the scenes’ “with wheels turning (some very slowly, I might add!) but forward motion nonetheless”.
* South Canterbury 2021 big story lookback – May
* The future of the historic Te Kiteroa property remains undecided
* Timaru firefighters hone their skills with Skylift training
*Cause of an electrical fault from the Waimate farm fire
“We just have to say again how grateful we have been for the kindness, encouragement and support from our community, both locally here in Waimate and around the world.”
Dennison said all that remained was a cleared site with gardens “as glorious as they always were.
“We were able to leave the outer entrance columns and stairs standing outside the front door – forming a beautiful frame through which to look at the view that gave Te Kiteroa (te reo for “the long view”) ”
She said what’s next includes a move to the online space in the immediate future.
“While this may not come in the form of physical premises… exciting things are coming… offering a growing virtual space including a podcast, online programs and a blog.
“This online space will be led by me (Rose) and will continue to grow my current work, empowering women on their soul calling journey – both in business and in life.”
Dennison said it will be a space to learn, grow and reconnect with soul and spirit, mother nature and the cosmos.
The cause of the fire was attributed to an electrical fault in components of the emergency lighting system, starting in a wall at the rear of the property and rapidly spreading across the roof of the building.