Fantasy Football Week 5 WAR Report and Troll Show of the Year

Oh hello there. I see you’ve headed down the fantasy football top 100 scroll. What we have here is the ranking of each of the top 100 players before Monday Night Football after adjusting for position. It’s called Wins Above Replacement and if you want to learn the nerdy details you can check it out here, but for the purposes of this blog you can just use this player ranking to get a feel for the fantasy landscape and gauge your good catches and your league mates’ bad catches. For example, here’s a random take I stumbled upon online that seems pretty clever:

Fantasy football pundits have propagated the idea of ​​waiting for a quarterback for years and while it was true back then, the game has changed dramatically. Not only do the most successful quarterbacks demolish those at the replacement level, but it becomes predictable which quarterbacks will be the stars on the fantasy field. As of now, No. 1 overall quarterback Josh Allen was deserving of the second pick in the PPR Fantasy Draft and is poised to give Fantasy Teams just under about 4 wins more than if fantasy teams had started a replacement-level quarterback instead. Lamar Jackson and Jalen Hurts also got first-round ratings while Mahomes will likely join after tonight’s game enters the pattern. These are three of the top 4 preseason ADP QBs with Hurts literally being the “sleeper” for everyone alive or dead this year. So far, the only quarterback to stumble has been Justin Herbert, which is easily explained because he’s on my team. That’s how it goes. Not that you care.

In true fantasy football fashion, I might feel like the smartest person in the world to be right on the “take a quarterback” take before realizing I’m a complete idiot for being wrong on another take. Zero RB truths keep raining down on my Bell Cow RB grave. Usually the No. 1 player from the previous year regresses to average expectations the following year, but Cooper Kupp is actually on his way to surpassing his 2021 season. Hope Kelly Stafford has a good group of friends for brunch because her man keeps sitting and sipping Bloodies with his Kupp. Stefon Diggs, Justin Jefferson and Tyreek Hill follow – all worthy fairly close first-round picks in ADP’s order. And while there has been some resurgence in the game of top running backs over the past two weeks, the fact is that we running backs are being trampled on. It’s never a good sign when ADP No. 1 Jonathan Taylor is outplayed by 12 kickers. It’s not exactly ideal.

The tight final production was also on the agenda this year. There’s Travis Kelce worth a first-round pick since Magna Carta signing Mark Andrews, and…check the notes:

Giphy pictures.

At least Zach Ertz and Tyler Higbee were somewhat helpful. Higbee appears to have invited himself to lunch with Matt and Cooper averaging 9.6 targets per game, which would be more impressive if he had the stamina to go further than four yards before needing to. a cigarette. It may not cut your opponents on paper to death, but certainly to moderate the annoyance.

Troll Watch of the Year

There is always that player who hits you absolutely every week. Play it? He’s bad. Play with him again? Still zero. Once again? What is the definition of insanity again? Bench his ass?

Now, 5 weeks later, I officially put Gabe Davis on the Troll of the Year(TM) watch. Troll of the Year(TM) is something I made up and it’s exactly what you think it is. Shout out to TY Hilton who won a few years ago and Will Fuller – the GOAT Troll of the Year:

For the record, Will Fuller’s Week 5 with 39.7 points was the most of the year for any WR and the 3rd of this decade, providing a 90% chance for all zero owners who have it set out to win their game. ALSO for the record, I tagged Bobby Sylvester before his creep gate scandal. Just get ahead of it.

Using ESPN’s platform, Gabe Davis has been pitched by fantasy managers in 48%, 43%, 40%, and 33% (Week 5) of respective weeks played this year. At a 93% ownership rate in Week 5, that means 60% of the leagues had bad sap from a manager who threw Gabe Davis into the “BENCH 1” slot in Week 5 after losing everything. hope. I guess the only reason the numbers aren’t worse is because ten and maybe even eight leagues of teams were lumped together in the starting percentage data. The managers who pitched him had a 75% chance of winning, which makes me 25% after going up against Josh Allen with the aforementioned miss Justin Herbert. Again, not that you care.

It’s all for this week. Happy to make it a recurring weekly blog if the vibes are positive. Next week, I hope to reveal who the worst players in fantasy are, but I have to work on some qualifying so I don’t count saves or ones managers probably won’t play. Right now it’s Mitch Trubiskly in 583rd place just behind Feleipe Franks who has played three games as a quarterback and has more receiving targets (2) than huddle snaps with a grand total of 0, 0 fantasy points. Once again, he is ahead of Mitch. Who I definitely didn’t draft in 2 QB leagues.

Not that you care.

-Jeffro

Amanda J. Marsh