Biden says he had no property search notice from Trump

President Biden told reporters on Wednesday that he had no advance notice of the FBI’s plans to search former President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida.

“I had no notice. None. Zero. Not a single piece,” Biden said in response to a question from reporters following an event on student debt relief.

Biden’s remarks are consistent with those of other White House officials, but they are important because they represent his first public comments on the Mar-a-Lago search since August 8, when the FBI warrant was issued. been executed.

The White House has sought to distance itself from the Department of Justice’s (DOJ) investigation into Trump and classified documents that were allegedly taken to Mar-a-Lago and kept there after he left office. White House officials stressed that the Justice Department was conducting its investigation without any political interference.

The White House also said it was not briefed by the Justice Department until Attorney General Merrick Garland’s press conference earlier this month, during which he revealed the department was preparing to unseal the search warrant related to the case.

The warrant, unsealed Aug. 12, showed the FBI had removed classified documents from Mar-a-Lago as part of an investigation into potential violations of the Espionage Act and other laws.

Republicans, meanwhile, have attacked the Justice Department and accused it of political motivations in the decision to search Trump’s property. Trump is eyeing another presidential race in 2024, which means he could face Biden a second time.

Biden kept a low profile in the weeks following the search, largely because it coincided with his summer vacations in South Carolina and Delaware. Biden returned to the White House from Rehoboth Beach, Del., Wednesday morning.

Update: 5:20 p.m.

Amanda J. Marsh